Application for Exchange Students


Thank you for your interest in spending your semester abroad with us, the Hochschule Bremerhaven.

The deadlines for applications are the 15th of May for the winter semester and the 15th of November for the summer semester. In this document and on the page below you can find some more information on the nomination and application process, language courses, insurance, accomodation, etc.

You need the following documents to apply:

  • Filled-out and signed Application Form
  • CV
  • Copy of your EU identity card or passport
  • Confirmation or language certificate (at least B1-Level English and/or German)
  • Transcript of Records (in English)
  • Learning Agreement
  • Passport-sized photograph

Please send the scanned documents to and the original documents via mail to:

Hochschule Bremerhaven
International Office
Postfach 36
An der Karlstadt 8
27568 Bremerhaven

Course selection

With your Learning Agreement you decide on a preliminary selection of courses which has to be recognised by your home institution and the Hochschule Bremerhaven. You can choose classes from your study course. In addition, we offer a range of courses in English. If you have questions regarding your selection, please contact Ms Aletta Rochau.


After you have arrived in Bremerhaven, you have to matriculate yourself at the Hochschule. Please contact Ms Patricia Gebhardt for advice.

Police Registration

In order to being allowed to stay in Germany, you must be registered at the police (also valid for students with German nationality). Within 7 days after your arrival, you have to be at one of the registration departments of the police (see bottom of page) and collect a certificate of your registration. For this you need the following documents:

Identification card or passport

Residential tenancy agreement (signed by the landlord or the person who you leased from): You may submit either your lease-contract signed by the landlord or a letter signed by the person from whom you have directly leased your accommodation. You are only allowed to register yourself if you have a permanent accommodation, i.e. a room in a hostel or a shared apartment and your own apartment. If you are a subtenant, the main tenant of the apartment must sign the confirmation letter.

Registration Offices

Bürgerbüro Mitte
Hanse Carré, Bgm.-Smidt-Str. 10,
27568 Bremerhaven
Tel.: 590 - 3470 / 3475 / 3480

Business hours
Mo-Fr: 10:00 - 18:00
Sa: 10:00 - 14:00

Bürgerbüro Nord
Stadthaus 5, Hinrich-Schmalfeldt-Str,
27576 Bremerhaven
Tel.: 590 - 3730 / 3737

Business hours
Mo: 08:00 - 12:00 and 15:00 - 18:00
Tu-Th: 08:00 - 13:00
Fr: 08:00 - 12:00

Bank Account

In order to open a bank account you need a certificate of registration. As a student you will be able to open an account free of charge at most banks. Ask at the International Office or contact your Buddy to find out which banks are suitable.

Health Insurance

All students in Germany must have a health-insurance and it is a prerequisite for enrollment at a university. The selection of health insurance is recommended to be made only after consultation. For EU citizens the proof of health insurance from their homeland along with the European insurance card would be enough.

Students from Non-EU Countries have to get helath insurance in Germany!

In addition, you will need proof of their health insurance for the regristration office to renew your visa after 3 months (only Non-EU residents).

Here are some of the largest public health insurance companies in Bremerhaven:

AOK Bremen / Bremerhaven
Claudia Ülzmann (Kundencenter Studenten)

Columbusstr. 1
27570 Bremerhaven
Tel: 0471 16 630
Fax: 0471 16 91 714
Business hours:
by appointment only

Techniker Krankenkasse Bremerhaven
Uwe Franz

Am Alten Hafen 118
27568 Bremerhaven
Tel: 040 4606 511 1602
Mobile: 0151 51 02 06 76

HanseMerkur 30plus

Tel: 0800 678 22 22 (cost-free)



MAWISTA (multilingual)
Tarifs Mawista Student oder Mawista Science

Albstr. 26
73240 Wendlingen (bei Stuttgart)
Telefon: 0049 7024 469510
freecall: 0049 0800 6294782
Fax: 0049 7024 4695120

The insurance 30plus is especially designed for students older than 30 years or studying for more than 14 semesters. For further information on insurance issues please try to study the - unfortunately German - sites or 1A-Krankenversicherung. The latter one also issued the following information:

Checklist Health Insurance for students

All Health Insurance contacts dfor students

Enrolment fee

There are two ways to pay the Semester Contribution:
1. using a friend's account (Buddy)
2. opening your own bank account before.

Please note: The Semester Contribution is independent of the place of your residence and, as an inherent part of the enrollment process, has to be payed every semester by every student. Therefore, if you stay for more than one semester you will have to pay the fee again.

Please note that the terms of payment

July 31st for the following winter term and

January 31st for the following summer term

are to be met in any case.

Every student exceeding the 14th semester has to pay an additional tuition fee of 500,00 € each semester.

International Office

The Semester Ticket and your Student-ID proves your successful enrollment at the university. To receive these, the following documents have to be brought to the International Office:

  • Identification card or passport

  • Proof of student health insurance cover

  • Proof of payment of Semester Contribution

  • Personnel card

If all of your documents are complete, you will receive your Student-ID and your Semester Ticket in the Registration and Examination Office (Building V, 2nd floor).

The Semester Ticket allows you to use the public-transportation (Bus, Tram etc.) in Bremerhaven and Bremen as well as the direct train-service to Bremen, Cuxhaven, Wilhelmshaven, Hamburg, Hanover and Osnabrück for free.

Along with the semester-ticket you will also receive several copies of a document proving your enrollment at the university (Studienbescheingung), which you will definitely need for the renewal of your visa at the Department of Immigration, health insurance, bank and other official purposes outside the university as well as for the Language Centre, the library, IT-centre (ZBRV), Mensa-Card etc. inside the university.