Study in Bremerhaven

General Information

Here you can find the semester dates and information about the Bachelor and Master courses offered by the University of Applied Sciences. There are also further courses, like the International Summer School and General Studies. You can also find a list of all English taught courses here. Furthermore, we have a center for you to learn foreign languages like German, Spanish, French, etc.

If you want to attend lectures at our university as auditor, you will find information in German on the pages of the Registration and Examination Office.

Informationen about the credit points and the grading scale can be found here.


Before your stay - the application

There are separate application processes for students who want to complete their whole degree in Bremerhaven or just one semester.

To study one semester at our university as an exchange student, you can finde information here about the application process.

In order to apply for the full degree program, please follow the steps and instructions provided on this page. Here you will also find information about the semester fee.

Arrival in Bremerhaven and first steps

We recommend all of the international students to visit Ms. Patricia Gebhardt after their arrival at the university. She is in charge of the department that manages all the affairs regarding helping the international students of all courses.

However, to initiate all the steps to be taken as fast as possible, you should familiarise yourself beforehand with the points below

Registering at the Resident Registration Office

In order to being allowed to stay in Germany, you must be registered at the Resident Registration Office (also valid for students with German nationality). Within 7 days after your arrival, you have to be at one of the registration departments (see bottom of page) and collect a certificate of your registration. For this you need the following documents:

Valid identification card or passport

Residential tenancy agreement (signed by the landlord or the person who you leased from): You may submit either your lease-contract signed by the landlord or a letter signed by the person from whom you have directly leased your accommodation. You are only allowed to register yourself if you have a permanent accommodatio (i.e. a room in a residential home or a shared apartment or your own apartment). If you are a subtenant, the main tenant of the apartment must sign the confirmation letter.

Registration Offices

Bürgerbüro Mitte
Hanse Carré, Bgm.-Smidt-Str. 10,
27568 Bremerhaven
Tel.: 590 - 3470 / 3475 / 3480

Business hours
Mo-Fr: 09:00 - 17:00
Sa: 10:00 - 13:00

Bürgerbüro Nord
Stadthaus 5, Hinrich-Schmalfeldt-Str,
27576 Bremerhaven
Tel.: 590 - 3730 / 3737

Business hours
Mo: 08:00 - 12:00 and 15:00 - 17:00
Tu-Th: 08:00 - 13:00
Fr: 08:00 - 12:00

Bank Account

In order to open a bank account you need the certificate of registration. As a student you will be able to open an account free of charge at most banks. Ask the International Office or contact your Buddy to find out which banks are suitable.

Health Insurance

All students in Germany must have a health-insurance, which is a prerequisite for enrollment at a university. The selection of a health insurance is recommended to be made only after consultation.

EU citizens: the proof of health insurance from their homeland along with the European insurance card is be sufficient.

Students from Non-EU Countries must get a health insurance in Germany! Additionally, you will need to show the registration office that you have a health insurance in order to renew your visa after 3 months.

Here are some of the largest public health insurance companies in Bremerhaven:

AOK Bremen / Bremerhaven

Patrick Dressel (Contact Person)



Bürgermeister-Smidt-Straße 95

28195 Bremen

Mobil: +49 1520 15 80 735

Tel.: +49 421 1761-519

Fax.: +49 421 1761-988

Barmer Bremerhaven

Oliver Czere (Contact Person) 





Barkhausenstr. 22

27568 Bremerhaven

Mobil: +49 20 25 68 33 3 00 60

Tel.: +49 471 142 943 51


Techniker Krankenkasse Bremerhaven

Marc-Benjamin Fellbusch (Contact Person)



Am Alten Hafen 118

27568 Bremerhaven

Tel: +49 40-460 65 11 12 06

Mobil: +49 151-57 63 59 54

Fax: +49 40-202 01 27 12 98

All Health Insurance contacts for students (please note that not all insurances are represented in Bremerhaven)

These insurances are interesting for students over 30 years, whereby you should take the premium rate:

HanseMerkur 30plus

Tel: 0800 678 22 22 (cost-free)



MAWISTA (multilingual)
Tarifs Mawista Student oder Mawista Science

Albstr. 26
73240 Wendlingen (bei Stuttgart)
Telefon: 0049 7024 469510
freecall: 0049 0800 6294782
Fax: 0049 7024 4695120

The insurance 30plus is especially designed for students older than 30 years or studying for more than 14 semesters. For further information on insurance issues please try to study the - unfortunately in German - sites or 1A-Krankenversicherung.

Checklist Health Insurance for students

Semester Ticket

The Semester Ticket and your Student-ID proves your successful enrollment at the university. To receive these, the following documents have to be brought to the International Office:

- Identification card or passport

- Proof of student health insurance cover

- Proof of payment of the semester contribution

- Personnel card (filled out)

If all of your documents are complete, you will receive your student ID card and your semester ticket in the Registration and Examination Office (Building M, 1st floor).

The semester ticket allows you to use public transport (Bus, Tram etc.) in Bremerhaven and Bremen as well as the direct train service to Bremen, Cuxhaven, Wilhelmshaven, Hamburg, Hannover and Osnabrück for free.

Along with the semester ticket you will also receive several copies of a document proving your enrollment at the university (Studienbescheingung). You will need those for the renewal of your visa at the Department of Immigration as well as for the health insurance, bank and other official purposes outside the university and for the Language Centre inside the university.



Visa & Residence Permit

International students and exchange students - who are Non-EU residents and want to stay longer than 3 months in Germany - must have a valid visa.

Therefore, the first visa, normally issued in the home country, must be extended within the first 3 months of residence in Germany at the registration office Bürgerbüro Nord (NOT Bürgerbüro Mitte).

Necessary documents:

- ID card / passport

- Biometric passport-sized photo

- Proof of health insurance

- Proof of enrollment as a student (Studienbescheinigung)

- Current statement of the bank-account at a German bank

- Confirmation of the police registration

- Residential tenancy agreement

first time: € 100.00
renewal: € 80.00 (1 year) or € 110,00 (> 1 year)

Assessment/transcript of the completed study in case of further renewals

Make copies of all documents for your own records!

Please note:
Starting September 1st 2011 the electronic residence permit (eAT) is being issued replacing the usual residence permit. For further information please visit the official pages of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees or the DAAD.

Bürgerbüro Nord

Stadthaus 5
27576 Bremerhaven
Tel.: 590 - 3730 / 3737

Business hours
Mo: 08:00 - 12:00 and 15:00 - 17:00
Tu-Th: 08:00 - 13:00
Fr: 08:00 - 12:00